Welcome to the ENG 263 Course Blog

Welcome to the ENG 263 Studies in the American Culture, Spring 2010 course blog.

Please feel free to express your impressions, views and opinions based on what has been happening during class.

The Blog is open to all who wish to participate in a respectful exchange of thoughts, ideas, positions, proposals, and anything else that comes up as long as the subject is about the issues that concern the U.S. culture as a whole.

Nevertheless, I must ask the authors to identify themselves at all times.

I hope you enjoy this education experience.

E. Prifti, Course Instructor

*****

Saimir Hyskaj

On the 31 March we had a pannel from a team made up by 7 members from the USA.

1) Rebeca from the state of Colorado(rubik)
2) Steaffany from Alabama(peskopi)
3) Allan from New York(gjirokastra)
4) Travis from Texas(vlore)
5) Brad from Arizona(rubik)
6) Melany from Washington State(jal)
7) Amy from Minnesota

The first impression i got from the panel, was that each of them was coming from a different state of the USA, but each of them was so different in many aspects.
The first was their accent, we could see how different was their way of talking, we could distinct the south from the north accent.
Each off them had a specific personality, and the impresion that they had lived different lives.
Some of the questions we asked to the panel:
  • Do you think the americans are more reserved than the british culture?
  • Do you guys feel more safe here in Albania than in the States, after the midnight?
  • What is one of the features of your city you guys can identifies your self with?
  • What is your impression you guys have when albanians hug, touch or kiss you 4 times on your cheeks?
  • What is your attitude towards the emigants from other states that emigrate in the USA?
  • When is the first time you guys have heard about Albania?
  • What you think about albania culture
  1. They didnt have any clear idea on this topic-but Amy thought the british are more reserved or is a bit difficult to give the full answer.
  2. They ansewer was "YES", but they were not confortable at 100%
  3. Allan from N.York said the N.City is the center of the world. They had diversity of cultures, languages.
  • Trevis said in Texas is a city of majority and minority. many streets have spanish writings on the streets, and there are many hyspanic people and is the second biggest state in the USA.
  • Rose explained that her city was famous for the ocean, and was the city where the NIRVANA group come from
  • Beca came from Colorado, the place of the highest mountains, so it best goes for the beauty of nature
  • Brad, talked about his city, had many spanish, was quite a place for bull racing.
  • Stefany said her town was a religious one, more conservative town
4) it was ackward to them, but now they are getting used to it and they like our hospitality.
5) They said if the emigrants were legal in the States everything was fine to them. we try to support them, welcome them
6) Only Allan had 2 albanians neighboors in his building, but he had no idea where Albania was in the world.
7)They all thought albanians are very hospitable, kind, they were impressed how the albanians like to buy the coffess for everyone in the table.

I really appreciated the panel, the way how the talked went, it would be much better if we as students would listen and respect more the visitors. I liked their way of free thinking, being opened, directed people, indipendent, willing to share their own experiences and being very helpfull to the youngs here. I want to thank them for briliante and helpfull opinions.

I would love to have other opportunities where i will get other chances to talk and practise my english, otherwise i can loose it.

1 comments:

saimir hyskaj said...

We meet a panel of four american people to talk about religious life in america.Th panel was composed by :Amanda,K.t gustafson, Dylan,Travis and Amy.
We made them some questions :
1)When two people get maried but they have different religions what happens ?
Dylan in my religion they can live happy , they will not have why to change religion.I have a friend that his parents are from different religion and they live happily together.
Amanda in my religion people have to convert , but for me is not a problem.
K.t even in my religion they have to convert if they want to live together.
Travis in my religion they can live without converting.
2)Which is the atittude of your church towared the homosexuals?
Dylan my church allows and accept them, and i do not have a problem with them.
Amanda my church accept them but do not allow to practise it.As my uncle for whom was not allow to practise but for my is not a problem.
K,t even my church do not allow the practise . Ones my friend invite me to be his mad of honor and i asked my pastor first and he said that i can could do it.
Travis my religion is divided in three sections :orthodox,conservativ and reformed . The to first allow homosexualism but do not allow the practise the thirt allows it.
3)How much your religion influence in your life?
Travis on me 0.
Dylan on me quite a lot ,maybe 70%
Amanda on me more than Travis less than Dylan.
K.t on me quite a lot ,is part of my everyday life.
My impression about this group was that they were different people from different background and with different faiths.Each of give an idea of america and american life.

Post a Comment